Shared Services in China: No Sleeping Dragon
Posted by firstname.lastname@example.org on August 19, 2016
China is no sleeping dragon, and yet, for all the attention focused on it by the global shared services industry, there is relatively few Shared Services Centres outside Shanghai and its suburbs. And for now, Shanghai shows no signs of losing its pole position, at least as far as industries like financials, healthcare, and technology are concerned. It also leads in terms of financial shared services, HR shared services, and GBS operations.
What is notable however is that the geological footprint of shared services in China is widening, as Beijing is growing in popularity and tier 2 cities like Wuhan are becoming more popular. In addition, as this visual data report shows, there is still plenty of opportunity to take advantage of low salaries and high student population outside the most popular locations (again, Wuhan stands out).
One of the most interesting slides in the report compares the "bang for a buck" in hiring graduates. This identifies the Philippines as only slightly less expensive than China, but India offering up to 50% lower cost than both! India has been helped significantly by the depreciation of the Rupee against the US dollar in recent years (by roughly 25%). The impact of volatile FX rates across the region should certainly be a key consideration for any organization evaluating shared services. With the Chinese Yuan on an upward trend, dollar-based costs could also keep rising.
What is certain is that there is no stopping the Chinese market. Half of the shared services across China right now are less than three years old, and SSON and Dart have seen a doubling of inquiries from China in the last two years alone.
Find out more about the opportunities in China, and the characteristics of this shared services market, in our visual data report: Enter the Dragon: The Rise of Chinese Shared Services Centres.
- Should You Consider Healthcare Risks When Choosing A Shared Service Location?
- Why Financial Benchmarking Really Matters
- How Philippine Delivery Centers are Deploying Success Levers in the Year Ahead
- ESTABLISHING A CENTER OF EXCELLENCE (COE) IN AUTOMATION – 4 Critical Ingredients
- Dummy Blog
- Dummy Blog
- Data readiness – a precursor to realising the true potential of automation
- 3 Trends Confirmed at SSON’s European Flagship Event
- Top 3 Trends in European Shared Services in 2019: How are scope, outsourcing and automation strategies adapting – and why?
- Higher Education Institutions must look beyond implementation challenges of Shared Services
- What’s driving successful Business Transformation in the Nordics right now?
- What does good really look like? Benchmark your SSO against 2 different benchmarking datasets
- Business Continuity Plan alert: Q3 2018 Earthquakes now at a record high
- Shared Services in Deutschland: Fokus auf Produktivität und Working Capital
- German Shared Services Focused on Productivity and Working Capital
- Open for Business: Consistent figures for 2018 US Shared Services jobs market
- How to succeed with Intelligent Automation: what our surveys tell us
- Is "gender" impacting shared services careers?
- Chief of Payroll, UNICEF Global Shared Services Centre
- Is a profitable business necessarily a prosperous one?
- Accounts Payable: the case for automation and offshoring