What does good really look like? Benchmark your SSO against 2 different benchmarking datasets
Posted by firstname.lastname@example.org on September 11, 2018
Sitting in SSON's global analytics centre based in Singapore, we constantly receive enquiries from SSON's multiple channels and our 125,000 members about KPIs and benchmarks. Ultimately, everyone is asking the same question, “What does good really look like in today's Shared Services Organisations (SSOs)?”
Noticing the growing demand for benchmarking data over the past few years, our analysts and data scientists have been hard at work gathering data and developing new tools to provide that important reference point for SSOs to benchmark against.
SSON's Top 20 Most Admired SSOs Benchmarking Initiative
Early last year, we launched our very first Top 20 Most Admired SSOs 2017 benchmarking initiative. We conducted an in-depth benchmarking study (across Finance, HR and Payroll metrics) with the 20 SSOs that were identified by the SSON community. The results were aggregated and presented in an analytics workbook, as well as available in an interactive tool where you can slice and dice the data of 83 SSCs by different regions using the Top 20 Most Admired SSOs Metric Checker.
Cost per invoice metric in the Top 20 Metric Checker. Almost 50% of the 83 SSCs in the Top 20 SSOs 2017 have spent USD 3 or less when processing an invoice. 24 other metrics are available.
With this first benchmarking initiative being extremely well-received and inundated with requests for more metrics to be added, we decided to run the Top 20 Most Admired SSOs benchmarking study for the 2nd time. As the lead analyst on this project, I am currently in the process of data collection with the most admired companies identified after crunching the 2018 data (do look forward to new additions in the list!). Aggregated results are expected to be released in late September/early October.
Industry and Country Specific Benchmarking Data in the Metric Intelligence HubTM
While being able to benchmark your SSOs against aggregated data from well-known brands that span different industries and geographies is valuable... more requests started coming in for specific geographies and sectors, e.g. what is the Days Payable Outstanding (DPO) for SSCs/GBS from the ‘Chemicals’ industry in Malaysia?
SSON Analytics has developed a proprietary algorithm (developed by the data science team led by our chief data scientist, Murphy Choy) that considers efficiency frontiers of specific industries and countries (including human labour efficiency, labour market efficiency, technological advancement efficiency, etc.) to come with a unique and revolutionary benchmarking data for SSOs to benchmark themselves against.
Screenshot of the Metric Intelligence Hub (MIH) showcasing the Days Payable Outstanding (DPO) for Chemicals Industry in Malaysia. Percentages are hidden in the chart above, sign up for a basic account to view this free metric in the MIH.
100 key metrics are available for 22 industries and 122 countries in the MIH. They include metrics in categories such as Attrition, General Finance, HR, IT, Order-to-Cash, Payroll, People & Talent, Procure-to-Pay, Procurement, Record-to-Report and Treasury. All metrics have been quadruple-validated across multiple sources and are updated on a regular basis.
To read more on the next generation benchmarking methodology used in the MIH, click here.
Overview of SSON Analytics’ benchmarking tools in the Metric Benchmarker
Note: Syazana Lim, is the lead analyst who manages the Metric Benchmarker (which includes both the Top 20 Most Admired SSOs & the Metric Intelligence HubTM). For any enquiries about benchmarking, please don’t hesitate to contact her at email@example.com
- How Philippine Delivery Centers are Deploying Success Levers in the Year Ahead
- ESTABLISHING A CENTER OF EXCELLENCE (COE) IN AUTOMATION – 4 Critical Ingredients
- Dummy Blog
- Dummy Blog
- Data readiness – a precursor to realising the true potential of automation
- 3 Trends Confirmed at SSON’s European Flagship Event
- Top 3 Trends in European Shared Services in 2019: How are scope, outsourcing and automation strategies adapting – and why?
- Higher Education Institutions must look beyond implementation challenges of Shared Services
- What’s driving successful Business Transformation in the Nordics right now?
- What does good really look like? Benchmark your SSO against 2 different benchmarking datasets
- Business Continuity Plan alert: Q3 2018 Earthquakes now at a record high
- Shared Services in Deutschland: Fokus auf Produktivität und Working Capital
- German Shared Services Focused on Productivity and Working Capital
- Open for Business: Consistent figures for 2018 US Shared Services jobs market
- How to succeed with Intelligent Automation: what our surveys tell us
- Is "gender" impacting shared services careers?
- Chief of Payroll, UNICEF Global Shared Services Centre
- Is a profitable business necessarily a prosperous one?
- Accounts Payable: the case for automation and offshoring
- Taking your First Baby Steps into Robotic Automation?
- Agile-lite in HR
- Is it really worth shifting work offshore? Get the real decision drivers from City Cube
- Are your staff constantly pushing for increases? How does your team's cost stack up regionally?
For media enquiries relating to SSON Analytics or any of our data, please contact Sian Jenkins.
Tel: +65 6722 9361
"Despite having the highest risk of windstorm and flood as well as a high earthquake threat, Manila has the largest SSC concentration in APAC"
Data from 'Evaluating Risk in Asia Pacific Shared Services Hotspots' - Analytics Workbook - SSON Analytics
"We have found the Enterprise Dashboard and the SSC Metric Checker particularly insightful, as both are developed on factual analysis based on quantitative measures such as cost, cycle time, FTE effort, use of shared services, and application complexity."
Paul Bartley - Director, Global Shared Services - BD
"By utilizing SSON Analytics’ data tools/analytics reports BD has been able to benchmark and assess how the company is positioned against world-class performers. Knowing that what we are reading has been provided by practitioners makes it a very trustworthy source of information."
Paul Bartley - Director, Global Shared Services - BD
"SSON Analytics have been a really useful resource in providing Market Intelligence and insight into the shared services industry, giving me new perspectives into the strategic positioning within cities, countries and beyond. I am also encouraged to see incremental improvement to its offerings over time, and the engagements with the analysts and management have been more than pleasant! Excellent overall!"
SSON Analytics subscriber - Research Manager - leading chemical company
"As we measure our operations, we are tapping into the comprehensive metrics in SSONA’s City Cube to benchmark what our peers in the same region and industry are able to achieve. This helps us to identify opportunities to drive continuous improvements."
Thomas Hung - Vice President, Group Finance Shared Services - Shangri-La Group